Saturday 25 February 2017

Term 1 - Week 5

Hi parents,

Well, I have officially moved all my belongings to Dunsborough after I decided to pick a 40 degree Saturday to venture up to Perth and pick up the rest of my things. Luckily, I took an oxygen tank with me due to the lack of it up there and I managed to make it home in one piece. Can't see myself going back up there any time soon!  

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“Miracles come in moments. Be ready and willing.” – Wayne Dyer

CLASS READERS
The stickers I mentioned last week have been made and you will notice these in your child's diary. They are a way to track where all the readers are going. Mrs Jasper and myself will change their readers on a Monday so there is no need for you to change them during the week. 

Repetition is a great way for children to become more efficient readers, however, if you feel your child has mastered the text they were given, you can have them read their library book for the remainder of the week.

Can I ask that you monitor your child's reading and consider reviewing a different reading strategy each night after they read. We have learnt about 3 strategies (review previous posts) so they should keep you busy during the week.

BOARD GAMES
Thank you to all the families who have donated some games during the week. The kids had fun playing with them on Friday afternoon.

PARENT HELPER ROSTER
A parent roster will be up in the classroom, if you would like to donate your time. I have limited it to a maximum of 2 parents for any one session. One session (09:30am - 10:00am) will be to help with our reading groups and the second session (10:15am - 11:00am) will be to help out with our writing. Every now and again I may require some help during our other learning areas, but I will let you know in our weekly blog posts. Thank you to those of you who have already expressed their interest.

HOME LEARNING WEEK 5
The following tasks should be completed each night:
1.    Reading (readers) - 10mins
2.     UNIT 5: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4 of mental maths. (Day 5 will be completed on Friday during class) please note that your child may complete more than 1 day on any night, however, it is necessary that you mark their work with them once completed.
3. Times Tables: (x 3)

The following tasks are only required to be completed once:
1.    Physical activity (includes team or club sport, dancing etc) - 15mins
2.    Teach your parents something you were taught at school.
3.    Draw or paint a picture.
4.    Housework - You decide.
When a task has been completed, your child is required to tick it off in the diary.

COMPREHENSION STRATEGY FOCUS
The strategy mentioned below was the focus for last week.

Making Connections: When readers connect the text to something they know or have experienced, they understand it better. For example, by making text-to-self connections, a reader might be able to understand how a character feels and the motivation behind their actions.

Below are some examples of think alouds that can be used to model or to prompt making connections.
Text-To-Self:

  1. This reminds me of a time when I...
  2. This is similar to my life because...
  3. This is different to my life because...
  4. The same thing happened to me when...
  5. I know about this topic because I...
Text-To-Text:
  1. This reminds me of a book I read...
  2. This is similar to [book title, TV program, movie, etc.] because...
  3. This is different to [book title, TV program, movie, etc.] because...

NUMERACY FOCUS
This week we will be learning about time.


Enjoy the week,


Mr. Jones